Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The Study of Eating with a Large Group of People

It seems my blog has turned into negative rants. I'm sorry. I'm really not that negative.

But, I do complain and try to figure out the ways of people alot.

Here is what happened last night:

I went out with a group of 17 people, for my friend Lindsey's birthday. 17, 25-30 year old people. Yes, ADULTS. Anyway, we went to Buca di Beppo. If you've never been there, they serve large dishes, and everyone shares their food. Kind of like a Chinese restaurant with Italian food. Me, Carrie and Jake decided we would share our bill. So, the table ordered, the food came, and we all SHARED it. I mean, when you have a lazy susan on a huge round table with food rotating on it, and the pope staring back at you who wouldn't want to share?

Yes, there was a statue of the Pope trapped in a glass container staring back at our group in the center of the lazy susan.

Anyway....

The bill came and the total was $304.00. Everyone was trying to figure out how much they owed. What a mess. So, I'm sitting back watching everyone. Now, I hardly knew anyone at the table but Lindsey, her boyfriend and Carrie. I've have been to a few bbq's with these people, but don't really "know" them. So, anyone that knows me, knows I hate being the center of attention and I don't really take charge. So, as I was watching (we already figured out how much we owed) I said "Hey, why don't we split it for the whole table?"

So, instead of dividing it by the 17 people that had a plate of food, we did it by 14 (Cause, there were a few that only had dessert.... etc) So, the total for each person was $21.72.

We started to get complaints.

"I'm not paying $21.72 for my pizza!" then me saying "Yes, but you ate the appetizer and some of the pasta I ordered". "We cant afford that much!"

Me, Lindsey, Carrie and Jake were trying to convince people this was the better (and less stressful way to go).

4 against 13. Yeah.... you do the math on that one and see who won.

So, us 3 figured out how much we owed, and put it in the stack. I know for a fact that we our group probably overpaid. I should have counted the cash before it went to the waiter. Because, when the waiter came back he didn't have the change, nor did he even count how much money was there. But, that's another story.

Lessons learned:

If you go out with a large group of people, decide BEFORE you order your food how the group will pay the bill. Especially, if the restaurant you are going to eat at, does not do separate checks for large parties.

Make it easy. Just split the bill all evenly so you don't have to waste time figuring out what the total of your meal is. Again, figure out what you are going to do BEFORE any of the food comes. Set a price limit!

You will save about an hour arguing and trying to figure out what everyone owes.

So, after all the headache I've come to the conclusion to just have a dinner party if you want to eat with a large group. Bring your side, meat and drinks. I'll even host it!

No one complains about prices when there is a collar full of beer, and alcohol in the fridge waiting to be drank.

No comments: